Submitted by Robyn Clark
Low fat date and walnut cake
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 3/4 tsp bicarb
- 1 handful chopped walnuts
- 1.5 cups wholemeal self raising flour
- Soak dates in water overnight. Next day bring up to boil in a saucepan and then cool slightly and add 3/4 teaspoon of bicarb
- Mix in a handful of chopped walnuts and 1 and 1/2 cups SR whole meal flour.
- Place in a well greased loaf pan and raise up on 2 egg rings, no water in SC.
- Check after 1 hour on high.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think
3 thoughts on “Low fat date and walnut cake”
Lovely cake, easy to make and very tasty. I greased the ceramic base of my 2.5 litre slow cooker and popped the mixture straight in instead of using a cake pan.
I’ve made banana and date cake with cranberries straight into the slow cooker that’s been greased and lined. What I’d like to know is because I’ve got a bigger slow cooker should I double up on everything including the time ? Thanks
If you are cooking it directly in the cooker (lined with baking paper) it might actually be a similar time still as it will be hotter direct on cooker than raised on egg rings like original recipe is.
I’d check it at 1hr and each half hour after that until centre is cooked and springs back lightly to touch