Submitted by Felicity Barnett
Chocolate and Beetroot Cake
- 200g Dark chocolate (higher cocoa content the better), grated or finely chopped
- 180g Beetroot, grated
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tspn Vanilla
- 3/4 cup Olive oil
- 1/3 cup Apple sauce
- 1/2 cup Self Raising flour (Gluten free)
- 1 tspn Bicarb soda
- 85g Cocoa powder (dark)
- Note: I used a dairy and soy free chocolate.
- In a large jug combine sugar, vanilla, oil and apple sauce.
- Sift flour, bicarb soda and cocoa into sugar mix and stir until smooth.
- Add beetroot and chocolate, stir everything together well.
- Pour/scrape mixture into a prepared tin.
- In slow cooker bowl place two egg rings and about 3cm of water.
- Place tin on egg rings in slow cooker bowl.
- Cook on high with a tea towel under the lid for approx 2.5hrs in Contempo 5.5L sc.
- Allow to cool in tin for approx 30mins then turn out onto a cake rack.
- Can be served warm with cream or icecream.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!