Cottage Pie from scratch. My Mum's recipe that I have adapted for the Slow Cooker.
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 6 hrs
6 hrs 20 mins
Yields: 8+ servings plus left overs to either freeze or take for work lunch
3 medium onions
4 cloves garlic
1kg beef mince
4 cans tomatoes diced
6 tbsp. tomato paste
2 tsp oregano and thyme
1 tsp ground cumin
2 grated carrot
2 grated zucchini
2 cup frozen peas
Salt and pepper
2 can kidney beans
10-12 potatoes (depending on size)
3-4 tbls butter to suit taste
salt & pepper
handful of grated cheese to melt on top
1(Please Note: You can decide if you like to brown mince or not. I like to so this is how I do it. If you don’t just add all ingredients to slow cooker except kidney beans till last hour.)
21. Add potatoes to slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6 hours.
32. In a frypan, fry onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes, add mince and brown.
43. Add can tomatoes and paste, add all herbs, add vegies, salt and pepper and water.
54. Transfer to slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours depending on how hot your slow cooker cooks, you may need longer or shorter cooking time. Add kidney beans in the last hour so they don’t go too mushy.
65. Drain and return potatoes to slow cooker bowl. Mash potatoes with masher, add butter and mash thru. Add salt and pepper and milk, use a whisk to mix milk thru and fluff up the mash.
76. Scoop mash over Meat in other slow cooker, use back of spoon to smooth out to cover whole dish.
87. Sprinkle grated cheese over top and replace lid and continue heating until cheese has melted, took 10 minutes for my slow cooker.