Think a cottage pie … but replace the beef with a creamy mix of chicken and vegetables and you have this tasty ONE POT MEAL! A hit with the whole family!
Submitted by Paulene Christie
Chicken Potato Pie
Think a cottage pie ... but replace the beef with a creamy mix of chicken and vegetables and you have this tasty ONE POT MEAL! A hit with the whole family!
- 700g chicken thigh fillets
- 500g mixed diced frozen vegetables (or fresh if you prefer)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 heaped Tbsp of powdered chicken stock
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp of mustard
- 150ml of cooking cream (a type of pouring cream that resists splitting during cooking)
- 5 large potatoes
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Milk to mash
- 2/3 cup grated tasty cheese
- Place all filling ingredients into slow cooker except cream
- I left thigh fillets whole to begin with
- No water is needed to be added to filling ingredients, it will make it's own liquid
- Cook on low for 4hrs
- Remove chicken, shred, then return to pot
- Stir through 150ml of cooking cream and continue cooking on low while you prepare potato topping
- Peal, cut and boil potatoes on stove top until tender
- Mash with butter and milk to desired smooth consistency
- Top the chicken and veg filling with mashed potato and smooth
- Scatter with grated cheese and then cook for a further 30mins on high to melt cheese
- Serve as a great one pot meal or with steamed greens if you choose
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think
10 thoughts on “Chicken Potato Pie”
This is one of the best dishes.. So tasty and easy to prepare.
Next time I’m going to use it as a filling for pies done in my pie cooker 👌🏻
Easy to prepare and very tasty. Hubby loved it, 14 yo went back for seconds and ate 7 yo left overs. I thought the sauce was a little runny, but still a nice meal.
Made this an delish 👌 read comments before I cooked so i thickened sauce. Loved the creamy taste to it. Will deff make again 😁
This recipe is a winner in our household! The first time I made it, was a little runny so next time I made a little white sauce on the stove (butter flour milk) extra thick & added that to the mix.
I make this recipe for many years. It’s my husband’s favourite. Difference in my recipe is – no topping and only 1 – 2 tablespoons of cream. I serve it as a stew.
could you leave the cream out ??
You probably could, just beware it doesn’t dry out with that missing liquid.
Just reading comments about it being runny, maybe using fresh veggies not frozen might make a difference. I’m not sure just guessing.
But I’m definitely making this. Thanks for all your recipes and advice.
My husband and I loved this! What’s great is that there is plenty still to put in the freezer for another couple of meals.
I also popped it under the grill for 5 mins to brown the cheese before serving ❤
30+ degrees here today so this was ideal to make because it’s a ‘one pot dinner’ and didn’t overheat the house. And bonus…. everyone loved it! So easy to make so will be making this again.