Cottage Pie from scratch. My Mum’s recipe that I have adapted for the Slow Cooker.
Submitted by Melissa McClelland
Slow Cooker Cottage Pie
Cottage Pie from scratch. My Mum's recipe that I have adapted for the Slow Cooker.
- 3 medium onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1kg beef mince
- 4 cans tomatoes diced
- 6 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp oregano and thyme
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 grated carrot
- 2 grated zucchini
- 12 mushrooms
- 2 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
- 2 can kidney beans
- 10-12 potatoes (depending on size)
- 3-4 tbls butter to suit taste
- 1/2 milk
- salt & pepper
- handful of grated cheese to melt on top
- (Please Note: You can decide if you like to brown mince or not. I like to so this is how I do it. If you don’t just add all ingredients to slow cooker except kidney beans till last hour.)
- 1. Add potatoes to slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- 2. In a frypan, fry onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes, add mince and brown.
- 3. Add can tomatoes and paste, add all herbs, add vegies, salt and pepper and water.
- 4. Transfer to slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours depending on how hot your slow cooker cooks, you may need longer or shorter cooking time. Add kidney beans in the last hour so they don’t go too mushy.
- 5. Drain and return potatoes to slow cooker bowl. Mash potatoes with masher, add butter and mash thru. Add salt and pepper and milk, use a whisk to mix milk thru and fluff up the mash.
- 6. Scoop mash over Meat in other slow cooker, use back of spoon to smooth out to cover whole dish.
- 7. Sprinkle grated cheese over top and replace lid and continue heating until cheese has melted, took 10 minutes for my slow cooker.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!