Submitted by KERRY
Spiced Apple and Date Chutney
- 8 large Granny Smith Apples, peeled and cored
- 3 large brown onions, peeled and diced
- 2 cups of Malt Vinegar
- 2 fresh Red Chillies chopped finely include seeds if you wish
- (can use dried chillies if fresh isn't available - 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup of brown sugar ( Can add more if you like it more sweeter)
- 1.5 cups of Dates Chopped
- 1.5 cups of Sultanas
- 4 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 tblsp ground ginger
- 1 tblsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp all spice
- Place all ingredients into slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on low or 2 hours on high stirring occasionally until the mixture becomes a chutney consistency.
- If after the time you feel the mixture isn't thick enough, make a runny paste of water and cornflour and stir through for 10 minutes.
- Ladle hot mixture into sterilised jars and label when cool.
- Store in cool, dry place but once opened store in fridge.
- This chutney was a huge hit at our local school fete. Great for a Christmas Gift, Goes well with hot or cold meats, cheeseboard, Ploughmans lunch or a curry.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think