Submitted by Rebecca Gregory
Shredded Mexican Chicken
- 4-5 skinless chicken breasts
- 1x jar of taco sauce/salsa
- 1x pk taco seasoning mix
- 2TBS minced garlic
- 1 tin of crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- sour cream (to serve)
- Jasmin rice
- Place skinless chicken breasts in the bottom of a 3.5 or 5.5L slow cooker
- Sprinkle taco seasoning over the chicken breasts, making sure its all covered.
- Pour over the jar of taco salsa
- Pour over crushed tomatoes
- Add garlic, salt and pepper
- Cook on HIGH for 2 hours.
- Turn chicken breast
- Gently stir
- Cook on HIGH for a further 2-6 hours (the chicken should be nice and moist with a lovely white colour)
- Using two forks, shred the chicken (pulling it apart)
- After all chicken breasts are shredded, give it another stir.
- This meal can then be served on the bed of rice with a dollop of sour cream.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think
13 thoughts on “Shredded Mexican Chicken”
I made this and then used Taco boats with some salad and sour cream to serve instead of serving with rice
Kids loved them and they were delicious!
We love this. In the slow cooker now making my partner’s lunches. Perfect with the rice.
Did this with burritos! Was so damn good!
Just had this for dinner tonight. Delicious and so very easy to make. Added a cup each of frozen sliced beans and corn kernels, and half a chopped capsicum for last half hour of cooking for a complete one-pot meal.
I did this and it was a massive success but I doubled up on all the ingredients and used 2 small whole chickens or you could use 1 large . Put it on auto in the morning and left it all day. About an hour before dinner I lifted the chickens out and stripped all the meat off which was very easy as it was so moist and returned it to the slow cooker very versatile dish we had it with rice and following night with nachos and cheese and there was even some left for a wrap for lunch. I reckon you could even add some red kidney beans for extra thrifty Ness.
We love this, but use only 2 or 3 fillets so it’s nice and saucy. Very versatile meal.
This was delicious!
I added diced onion and stirred through sour cream before serving. The kids loved it too 🙂
Delicious! Really easy to make. Made enchiladas with this and they tasted amazing!
How long all up to cook chicken breast 2 4 or 6 hrs on high
It’ll depend on your cooker but I think 4 would be heaps! 🙂
Made this the other day. Absolutely delicious! Served on a bed of rice. Hubby not normally fond of anything other than meat and 3 veg but surprised me by asking for it to be made again
If you’re making a dump bag, does it all go in the bag?
Yes that should be ok (without the last 2 ingredients of course) 🙂