Submitted by Maria Ahlrichs
Creamy Vegetable Bake
- 6-8 cups any veggies sliced - I used red onion, carrot, celery, potato and broccoli
- 5 pieces short cut bacon diced
- 500mls thickened cream
- 1/2 - 1 packet packet French onion soup mix
- White sauce (recipe below)
- Salt & pepper
- WHITE SAUCE:
- 2 cups milk
- 40g butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- salt & pepper
- Saut onion and bacon in fry pan with a little olive oil
- Layer veggies in crock pot a little at a time adding some bacon/onion mix and cream between each layer
- Finish with remaining cream, then sprinkle soup mix over top
- Prepare white sauce, then pour over top of veggies.
- Mix flour, milk, salt & pepper with whisk very well.
- Heat the butter in a small - medium sized saucepan.
- Add the mixture; Stir until the sauce is smooth and thickens. Not too thick (Do not burn the mixture!!)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add some grated cheese on top 30 mins before serving.
- I made the white sauce as I felt the cream wasn't enough liquid - you could simply add more cream if preferred!
- This amount of veggies barely filled half way up my 5.5L Slow Cooker. You can easily double the recipe and have enough to feed a small army! 🙂
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or until veggies are soft.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think