Submitted by Julie Abbott
Budget Winter Chicken Soup
- 2-3 chicken frames
- 1 pkt minestrone or vegetable chicken soup mix (I used Kings brand)
- 2L Water
- Sliced carrots
- Diced Capsicum
- Cubed potato
- Cubed Kumera
- Diced/sliced onion
- Slices of parsnip
- 1tsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- Add chicken frames to soup mix and water, add veges which can basically be any vegetables you have on hand - use seasonal to keep the cost down.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Take out chicken frames (careful so they do not fall apart) and let them cool enough that you can handle them, strip them of the meat (you get a lot of meat from the frames) and return the meat to the soup.
- You can either serve as it is, or put a whisk through it to make it a creamy soup (thus hiding the vege from children). Serve with toasted rolls or garlic bread.
- This recipe is my 6 yr old special needs son's favourite, so easy he does most of it himself and is guaranteed to go back for seconds, perfect for in the middle of winter.
- You can also substitute the chicken with any meat or even leave it out to be a vegetarian option.
- Makes a huge 6L slow cooker full.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think