Submitted by Jessica
Simple Red Beans and Rice
- 1x ham hock (I like to use the Bertocci triple smoked hocks) and 1x gypsy ham
- 2x brown onions
- 3 x cans of rinsed red kidney beans (its important to rinse the beans otherwise you will end up with severe gas pains!)
- About 1L to 1.5L of water
- Pinch of Salt and pepper
- 1: Dice the gypsy ham and onion.
- 2: Add all the ingredients to your slow cooker and place on high.
- 3: Ignore it for 4 hours or until the meat on the ham hock falls off.
- 4: Remove the hock bone, leaving the meat in the slow cooker.
- 5: Leave to simmer on low for a few hours.
- Serve on a bed of rice with freshly chopped onion sprinkled on top and a dash of tabasco.
- This is an old Creole recipe that my family has adapted. You can also add other spices, garlic and spicy sausage to it if you're after a traditional Creole flavour!
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think