Submitted by Nissi-Sharon Chikadza
Low Carb Oxtail Stew
This will sure be your regular in your house 😊
- 1.5 onions
- 4½ garlic cloves
- 45 g butter
- 5¼ tbsp tomato paste
- 1.5 kg oxtails, cut into pieces
- 1½ tbsp salt
- ¾ tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 orange
- 1 400g tin crushed tomatoes
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1½ tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Peel the onions and garlic, and cut them in half. Brown them slightly in butter and add in the tomato paste. Stir well, and sauté with the onions for a few minutes — this will remove some of the acidic tang from the paste. Transfer the onion mixture into a slow cooker.
- Brown the oxtail - season with salt and pepper.
- Wash and julienne the orange peel with a zester or a potato peeler. Juice the orange, and mix juice and orange peel into the oxtail along with the crushed tomatoes, vinegar, bay leaves, Italian seasoning , oregano.
- Place the meat into the sauce, and deglaze the sauté pan with 50 ml water; pour the resulting sauce over the stew.
- Cook on low in the Slow cooker on low for about 7 to 8 hours
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!