Submitted by Paulene Christie
Creamy Tomato and Bacon soup in Sourdough Bread Bowls with Mascarpone Cheese
- 2 x 800g cans diced tomatoes
- 2 small onions, diced
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 1 large carrot, fine diced
- 1T minced garlic
- 1 cup liquid vegetable stock
- 300g diced bacon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- Handful fresh basil leaves, sliced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 150ml cooking cream
- 1 large sourdough roll per person to serve
- 1 dollop mascarpone cheese per person to serve (this is amazing don't skip this!)
- Fresh chives, chopped, to garnish
- Combine all soup ingredients except cream into slow cooker. I used a 6L slow cooker
- Cook on low for 6hrs
- Using a stick blender/immersion blender, blend soup to smooth consistency
- Stir through cream
- Prepare each bread bowl by slicing off a lid and tearing out centre bread – leaving a thick wall of bread remaining inside the crust. Tear up removed bread (and lid if you like or leave that whole) into chunks.
- Place each bread bowl inside a wide soup bowl and arrange bread chunks for dipping around each
- Fill each bread bowl with soup. Garnish with a dollop of mascarpone cheese and chives
- Serve immediately
- I love the pairing of bacon with a creamy tomato soup and this one doesn’t disappoint. With the addition of fresh basil and some vegetables too this is both delicious and nutritious.
- Great for your next dinner party or just an everyday treat for the family to enjoy ?
- This recipe also features on page 52 of our book SLOW COOKER CENTRAL - READY SET SLOW! Available on the shop page of this website.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think