Submitted by Rose-Marie Wessling
Grandma’s Plum Duff
- 5 cups plain flour
- 1kg mixed fruit
- 250g chopped dates
- 250g glaced cherries
- 500g walnuts
- 500g butter
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup rum
- 20g mixed spice
- Place fruit & nuts in bowl pour rum over to soak.
- Cream butter & sugar then beat in a couple of eggs at a time.
- Fold flour and spice into mixture then add fruit & nuts.
- Boil a metre square bleached calico then spread out on bench and sprinkle with flour.
- Empty pudding mixture into centre then tie cloth securely allowing some room for rising.
- Pour boiling water into slow cooker.
- *If your slow cooker bowl is ceramic it is wise to warm up the bowl with some warm water first and then tip it out before adding the pudding/boiling water as pouring boiling water into a cold ceramic bowl can potentially cause it to crack*
- Cook for 2 hrs high & 2 hrs low
- Drain water off when cooked and let it cool in the cooker.
- Serve with hot custard.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!