Submitted by Paulene Christie
Creamy Chicken Casserole with Cheese & Herb Dumplings
- 1 large carrot, sliced relatively thin
- 2 Tbsp dried peas (or half a cup of frozen peas)
- 1.5 cups of butternut pumpkin, cut in small cubes
- Corn kernels cut from 1 large fresh corn cob
- 1kg skinless chicken thigh fillet, diced
- 1 x 420g can of condensed cream of chicken soup (no water added)
- 1 x cup of soup sachet of spring vegetable soup (dry)
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 cup liquid chicken stock
- 1 cup SR flour
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- 60g butter
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup milk
- Combine all casserole ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 4hrs
- To make dumplings, combine the flour, mustard, and herbs in a large bowl. Add the butter and use your fingertips to rub in until crumbly. Stir in the parmesan, then make a well in centre. Add milk and use a knife to combine until mixture starts to clump together.
- Gently gather dough together and make golf ball sized dumpling balls (I made 14 ) . Gently drop them on top of casserole, spaced apart, as they will expand.
- Cover with tea towel trick and continue to cook on low for another 45-60mins or until dumplings are cooked.
- Serve with steamed green veg on the side
- This recipe also features on page 148 of our book SLOW COOKER CENTRAL - READY SET SLOW! Available on the shop page of this website.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!