A versatile and filling stew made from pantry staples – adapt to what you have!
Submitted by Paulene Christie
Chicken & Veg Staples Stew
A versatile and filling stew made from pantry staples - adapt to what you have!
- 1kg skinless chicken thigh fillets - diced
- 3 medium washed potatoes - diced to about 2cm squares
- 2 medium carrots - sliced
- 1 large onion - sliced
- 1 sweet potato diced
- 1 cup pumpkin diced
- 1/3 cup dried green peas
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 cups of liquid chicken stock
- 40g pkt of chicken noodle soup mix
- 2 tsp each of fresh parsley, thyme and garlic chives
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 5hrs
- Serve with crusty bread rolls to dunk
- Keep potato relatively small diced to ensure it cooks to nice and tender
- This recipe is built around the pantry staples you have on hand.
- You can change the vegetables I've used to whatever you have on hand.
- You can change the herbs to whatever you have on hand.
- You can substitute the fresh herbs for half the amount each of dry if you prefer.
- You can cook it on low instead for around 7hrs
- It's all about having a big bowl of steaming hot chicken and vegetables to warm the bellies in your home at the end of the day
- Very budget friendly
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!