Submitted by Jessica Dowdy
- Boston Beans
- 400g speck
- 1 brown onion
- 1 can cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can butter beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can borlitto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tsp chicken stock powder
- 2 tsp tobassco sauce
- Cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup parsley
- Finely dice speck and onion. Brown in pan. You must do this to achieve a smokey flavour. Don't skip the browning. Add all ingredients to slow cooker. Cook for 4 hrs on high ideally. Add chopped parsley before serving and stir through.
- Many other recipes call for maple syrup or treacle as well as brown sugar but I think this is sweet enough.
- Freezer suitable.
- Good for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Could use rehydrated dried beans in substitution for the canned ones. This would be a lot cheaper.
- Could make vegetarian by substituting a little liquid smoke for the speck.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think