You’ll never eat canned baked beans again after trying this rich and saucy home-made version.
Submitted by Jenny Semmler
Best Baked Beans in the Universe
You'll never eat canned baked beans again after trying this rich and saucy home-made version.
- 2 cups navy (haricot) beans soaked overnight, then boiled for 30 minutes (to reduce gas)
- 880g can crushed tomato
- 1 bacon or ham hock
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 750mL water (add to slow cooker - this isn't the water to soak beans in)
- Soak the beans overnight in cold water. Next day, bring the beans to the boil for 30 minutes. This helps make the beans more digestible. Drain the beans.
- Mix all the ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the crackling (skin) and the bones when finished and break up the meat.
- The meat can be left out, but the beans should be served with bread or rice to ensure "complete" protein is consumed within the same meal.
- Total cost per serve approx $0.80 or $1.00 with toast or rice.
- Low in salt.
- Makes approx 1.5L beans, or 8-10 serves.
- Prep time includes overnight soak and 30 minutes cook. Vegetarian option: remove hock. Left-overs can be frozen... if you have any.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!