Submitted by Daphne Baldock
Slow Cooker Green Beans, Ham and Potatoes
- 1k lb fresh green beans, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 ham hocks
- 750gr potato, quartered
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tbsp chicken stock powder - I used Vegeta
- 1 ground black pepper, to taste
- Put the hocks in the slow cooker and add boiling water - about halfway up the crock.
- (Admin Note: if your bowl is ceramic it's best to preheat it with some hot tap water first then discard this water, so that you are not adding boiling water to a cold ceramic pot which can cause it to crack)
- Cover and turn HIGH for 1 hour.
- Prep beans, snap in halves if large, put in with the hocks along with the onion. Reduce heat to Low and cook for 2 hours until the hocks are easy to pull apart. take out the hocks and pull the meat off the bones, and put back into the pot. I put the skin back in to keep the flavour going.
- Add potatoes and and spices (do a taste test for how much salt to add in). At this stage I put the bones back in as well...but this is not necessary if you don't want too. Cook another 45 minutes until potatoes are done.
- To serve, use a slotted spoon to put beans, potatoes, and ham into a serving dish with a little broth.
- I did add a bit more water at the end as it was a tad salty - for me...
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!