Submitted by Vanessa King
Slow-cooker beef in soy and orange sauce
- approx. 500g Chuck steak, diced
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 medium Brown onion, cut into wedges
- 1 large Carrot, sliced diagonally
- 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm piece Ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- 3 strips Orange rind
- 1/3 cup Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup Cold water
- 1/4 cup Shao Hsing (Chinese cooking wine)
- 1 Star anise
- 1 heaped tsp Bonox mixed with 1 cup warm water (stock)
- 2tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 Capsicum (red/green), diced
- Steamed Rice to serve
- Heat half the oil in pan over medium-high heat. Cook meat, in batches (if required), for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to plate.
- Heat remaining oil in another pan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add orange rind, soy sauce, oyster sauce, wine, star anise, stock, sugar and cold water. Season with pepper.
- Transfer meat back into slow cooker. Cover with lid. Cook on low for 5 1/2 hours. Add capsicum and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Thicken with corn flour (if needed) at the end of cooking time.
- Remove star anise. Serve with steamed rice.
- *Please note that I have an All-in-one cooker*
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!