Submitted by Janelle Wood
Easy Philly cheesesteak recipe without breaking the budget! Cooked entirely in a slow cooker, no oven or grill required.
- 500g minced beef
- 200g sliced button mushrooms
- 1 green capsicum
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 200g mozzarella cheese (or provolone if you can get it)
- 6 long rolls (I used hot dog rolls)
- Butter for rolls (optional)
- Cut onion in half and slice finely, place in bowl of slow cooker with the mince and break up the mince with a wooden spoon.
- Mix in the garlic and onion powders, salt and pepper.
- Slice the four sides from the capsicum and then chop into short sections about 1cm wide.
- Gently mix the capsicum and mushrooms into the mince.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Once the mince mix is ready, scoop it into a large bowl using a slotted spoon and discard the fat.
- Cover the mince with foil while you clean the slow cooker bowl (either wipe it with paper towel or wash and dry it before replacing in the slow cooker.)
- Slice your rolls in half and lightly butter (optional).
- Assemble your rolls, putting cheese on the bottom, mince mixture on top of that, then more cheese on the top of the mince.
- Carefully place each roll into the slow cooker.
- Heat on high for 30-45 mins (depending on how crusty you like your rolls and how hot your slow cooker is) using the tea towel trick.
- Serve on their own or with a side of hot chips.
- You can delay adding the capsicum and mushrooms until the mince has been on for around 2 hours if you wish the capsicum to retain more colour, but not necessary.
- I found this feeds two adults and two kids, or three adults. There was mince left over so if you have a bigger family just add another two rolls and more cheese.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think