Submitted by Nadine McKellar
"Flush the fat away" vegetable soup
- 1 medium sweet potato, pealed, cut into 1 inch cubes
- (Optional - 1 medium zucchini, sliced in 1 inch rounds)
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained (optional - beans are for added protien)
- 2 cups vegetable broth/stock, no added salt
- 1 can diced tomatoes, no added salt
- 4 cups baby spinach, loosely packed
- Add all ingredients, except spinach, to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add spinach, stir and continue cooking until wilted. Approx 5 mins.
- Serve and enjoy.
- TIP: If you prefer a thicker soup. Remove 1 cup of soup including vegetables, after 5 hours of cooking. Mash with a fork and return to the slow cooker. Stir and continue cooking for 1-3 hours.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think