This is easy to make and is so delicious.
Submitted by Ange Marie
This is easy to make and is so delicious.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 700g chicken breast (approx. 4 large chicken breasts), diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large piece of ginger (about the size of your thumb), peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tins (400ml) of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp sugar
- 6 cardamom pods (sew them together with a piece of string so you can easily fish them out later)
- 175ml or ¾ cup double/heavy cream
- Handful of chopped coriander to serve
- Preheat your slow cooker to high.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large pan, add in the onion and chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes until the onions are softened and the chicken is sealed.
- Add in the garlic, ginger, salt, garam masala, curry powder, paprika and cinnamon. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add in the stock, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar and cardamom. Stir then pour into your slow cooker and cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Remove the cardamom then stir in the cream and allow to heat through.
- Serve with rice, sprinkled with some coriander & some naan bread on the side.
- You can freeze this. Instead of cream you can use coconut cream.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think
12 thoughts on “Butter chicken”
Made this today, delicious and liked by everyone, definitely making it again. Used coconut cream instead of double cream, and left out the cardamon pods as I didn’t have any. I thicken it with cornflour mixed in with the coconut cream. Used my multi cooker (Kuchef) with the stirring paddle and it turned out perfect.
Made this last night and it was a huge hit. Used coconut cream and a little cornflour to thicken as its a lot of sauce. Didn’t have Cardamon pods so put a little ground cardamon in it. Flavours were perfect but for the boys in the house will have to add a small amount of chilli flakes to it for heat as they can never have enough apparently.
I made this last night, and it was lovely. I left out the added sugar as I am not a fan of sweetened foods. Will most likely make again. Thanks 🙂
This was delicious! Liked by the whole family! Used milk instead of cream and skipped the cardamom pods with no apparent issues!
Great family meal for Saturday night, house smelled lovely!
Amazing!!! I accidentally misread and cooked the chicken breasts whole. I shredded the breasts once cooked, and it turn out brilliantly. Pulled-butter-chicken. Very moist and chicken evenly mixed with the sauce.
On another note, I made it FODMAP friendly by using leek green tips, (instead of onion), garlic oil and lactose free cream.
This was a big hit with my family and friends. First time I made it and turned out great. Thanks for the recipe 👍🏼 I’m making it again tonight!
This is s great recipe, I made a few small changes… I only put in one tin of chopped tomatoes, added a tablespoon of brown sugar as I like it a bit sweeter and also added some crushed cashews. Served it with saffron rice and it was delicious!
Best butter chicken! I add a can of coconut milk aswell and turmeric and added tbs of flour to thicken. So delicious, the kids love it!
I made this delicious recipe with a few changes. I used half a jar of Pataks Butter Chicken paste and fried it off with onions, 5 cloves of garlic and a thumb sized piece of sliced ginger. Added in a tin of crushed tomatoes and blitzed it with a stick mixer as my niece has an aversion to any detectable piece of onion.
Put diced chicken into slow cooker and poured over the curry mix.
Added in seasoning, a tin of coconut cream and dessert spoon of brown sugar. With 50g of chopped butter.
Cooked on low for 4 hours (my slow cooker is hotter than most).
Served on coconut jasmine rice cooked in rice cooker ( 2 cups rice, 1 cup water, tin coconut milk, 2 dessert spoons dedicated coconut, three quarters teaspoon salt, pepper, teaspoon sugar) and garnished with coriander and finely sliced fresh red chillies
It was the best butter chicken ever.
This is a go to in our house and our 3 year old loves it. Never fails to turn out yummy even when you forget the cream at the end.