A slow cooked classic sweet and sour taste using a whole chicken – packed with flavour!
Submitted by Paulene Christie
Sweet & Sour Whole Chicken
A slow cooked classic sweet and sour taste using a whole chicken - packed with flavour!
- 1 large chicken (2kg)
- 1 x 440g can pineapple pieces in juice (juice reserved)
- 1 red capsicum (pepper) diced
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice as reserved from can
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce/ketchup
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- Place whole chicken in base of slow cooker
- Arrange pineapple pieces and diced capsicum around chicken
- Cook on HIGH for 2hrs
- After 2hrs I drained and discarded all the liquid from the slow cooker (a whole chicken releases heaps!) leaving just the chicken, pineapple and capsicum behind in the slow cooker.
- Combine reserved pineapple juice (from can), tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar and soy sauce and pour over chicken in the slow cooker.
- Continue to cook but now on LOW for another 4hrs
- Carefully lift chicken out at the end of cooking time (be careful to support as you lift as it will be fall apart tender - I use two egg flips, one under the chicken from each end to support it, as I lift quickly onto a serving plate)
- Strain liquid from slow cooker and discard solids
- Transfer strained liquids to a saucepan. Bring to boil then simmer (while stirring) to reduce sauce down by half to a glossy sauce.
- We served ours with rice and steamed broccolini
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think