This recipe has some pre-prep before placing into your slow cooker, but its definitely worth it because frying off the spices will 'activate' them, and then slowcooking gives the spices time to meld together and the results are fabulous!
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 6 hrs
6 hrs 15 mins
Yields: 4-5 servings
1.5kg bone in chicken thighs (i have also used regular thigh fillets, kept them whole and they have worked just as well)
2 Cups chicken stock
1 tin apricot nectar
3 good size carrots cut into chunks
1 large onion sliced
1 heaped teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoon curry powder (more or less for personal taste)
1 teaspoon tumeric
half cup plain flour for dredging
salt and pepper for seasoning
11. Lightly coat the chicken pieces in the flour, and fry off in a hot pan until browned on the outside. Remove and set aside
22. In the same pan add the onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft, then re add the chicken.
33. Add the spices to the chicken/onion and quick fry until fragrant. At this point, add a splash of the stock to de-glaze the pan and get all the 'bits' off the bottom (this is where the flavour is!)
44. Place the chicken/onion/spice mix into the slowcooker and add carrots, stock and apricot nectar. Season with salt and cracked black pepper.
55. Each slowcooker is different, I like to cook on low for 5-6hrs or on high for 3-4hrs
7Serve with rice and steamed greens, or mash works just as well :-)