Submitted by Deanna Rankin
Green Tomato Chutney
This is a lovely chutney with a bit of a bite to it. Great for crackers
- 1.4kg green (unripe) tomatoes, chopped
- 3 onions diced
- 2 tbs salt
- 450ml Malt Vinegar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 & 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- In a large mixing bowl, add the chopped tomatoes, chopped onions and salt and stir together. Cover and set aside for 12 hours, overnight if possible in the fridge.
- Drain liquid from tomato & onion & put in the slow cooker along with all the other ingredients & stir together. Cook in the slow cooker on high for 7-8 hours. If mix seems too runny after about 5-6 hours take the lid off for a few hours during cooking. If it still does not reduce enough make a paste mix of corn flour & vinegar & stir through & leave the lid off. I do stir it throughout the cooking from time to time.
- Add to sterilised jars and seal Enjoy!
- NOTE: If mix doesn't thicken enough you can drain it through a sieve & then place in the jars. The sauce is lovely poured over stir fry veggies or to flavour other dishes.
- This is a lovely chutney with a bit of a bite to it. Great for crackers
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!