Submitted by Paulene Christie
Thai Chicken & Prawn Yellow Curry (Gaeng Karee) – Weight Watchers Friendly –
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 700gm skinless chicken thigh fillets (roughly diced) - fat trimmed
- 4 tbsp yellow curry paste (I used Valcom Light & Fragrant Yellow Curry Paste)
- 1 heaped tbsp brown sugar
- 400ml can of coconut milk (I used light/low fat)
- 1 large onion cut into 1/8 wedges
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper) sliced
- 2 baby pak choy (cut bottom 1/2 inch or so off the bunch and discard, reserve the rest just separate stalks)
- 12 snow peas, ends trimmed
- 14 medium sized green peeled prawns (tails on)
- Cornflour to thicken
- #1 In a searing slow cooker add oil then brown/seal chicken until lightly browned or for approx 5 mins. If you don't have a searing slow cooker you can use a fry pan on the stove top.
- #2 Add curry paste, stir through and cook for an additional 3mins while stirring. Return searing insert to slow cooker at this point or if using pan, transfer chicken and paste to slow cooker bowl.
- #3 Add coconut milk, brown sugar, onion wedges and capsicum and stir to combine.
- #4 Cover and cook on HIGH for 1hr then LOW for 3hrs
- #5 30mins prior to serving add baby pak choy, snow peas and green prawns. Stir to combine and cover again for the remaining cooking time
- #6 15 mins before serving I mixed 1 tbsp of cornflour with 1 tbsp of water to form runny paste and stirred through the dish to thicken the liquids prior to plating.
- Served with basmati rice
- This had a mild spice element to it but my 12 year old went back for seconds so it wasn't too intense!
- 6 pro points per serve on the weight watchers system (without rice), 3 additional pp for 1/2 cup basmati rice
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!