Submitted by Paulene Christie
Thai Chicken and Vermicelli Noodle Soup
- 6 cups of chicken stock (I used 6 tsp of powdered stock in 6 cups of water)
- 400ml can of coconut milk (I used reduced fat)
- 3cm piece of fresh ginger root - sliced finely and then cut into 1cm length fine sticks
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1-2 red chilli's sliced fine (remove seeds if you prefer less heat)
- 1 and half tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 a cooked chicken, meat shredded roughly
- 100g dry vermicelli bean thread cellophane/glass noodles
- 500g pkt of frozen Thai Stir fry vegetables (mix of carrot, beans, broccoli, baby corn, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts etc)
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander to garnish/serve
- Turn slow cooker on high.
- Combine liquid stock and coconut milk and add to slow cooker.
- Add ginger, fish sauce, chilli, turmeric, brown sugar and lime juice and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 3hrs
- Add frozen vegetables and shredded cooked chicken.
- Cover and continue cooking for a further 20mins or until vegetable are al dente soft.
- Add noodles, broken into approx 20cm lengths.
- Stir to combine and cover and cook for a further 10mins or until noodles are cooked soft.
- Serve with a scattering of fresh coriander and fresh lime wedges.
- - Add a tiny pinch (like 1/8 tsp) of saffron for a rich colour to your dish
- - You could substitute prawns/shrimp for the chicken. Add them with noodles in the last 10mins so as not to overcook
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!