Submitted by Paulene Christie
Classic Pea and Ham Soup
- 2 x 500g pkts of green split peas
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 1kg of chunked bacon off the bone (leftover smoked Christmas leg ham works too)
- 6 cups of water
- Rinse split peas until water until water runs clear
- No need to pre-soak peas
- Add rinsed peas to slow cooker
- Add onion and bacon/ham chunks
- Add water - water it takes to fill your slow cooker to approx 1 inch from the top
- I used 6 cups in a 6L slow cooker
- Cook on HIGH for approx 8hrs
- Stir occasionally during cooking time.
- Serve with crusty bread rolls
- Peas will often appear still formed until the final 2hrs of cooking when they will be broken down and form that thick, delicious kind of soup you can almost stand your spoon up in!
- Freezes well
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!