Submitted by Paulene Christie
Chocolate Choc-Chip Hot Cross Buns
- 10g dried yeast
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 3/4 cup warm milk (185ml)
- 1/2 cup cold milk (125ml)
- 50g melted butter
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 4 cups plain flour (600g)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 cup chocolate bits
- Salt pinch
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- Chocolate Cross:
- 1/4 cup chocolate melted
- Whisk yeast, sugar and warm milk together in a bowl and set aside for 10minutes or until frothy/bubbles form on top.
- While this sits aside,combine flour, cocoa powder, spices, sugar, chocolate dropsand a pinch of salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the cold milk, egg and butter into the yeast mix you set aside earlier.
- Make a well into the dry ingredients and gently pour in the yeast liquid and fold in to combine.
- Work dough together in bowl with hands then turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- Kneed for 10-15 mins then place in a clean, greased bowl and cover with plastic cling wrap.
- Set this aside for 90mins until risen to double the size.
- Uncover and punch down with your fist in the center then turn out onto a lightly floured surface again.
- Knead for 2 minutes then separate into 12 equal parts (I find it easy to divide into half and half again to get 1/4s. Then I broke each quarter into 3)
- Line slow cooker with non stick baking paper and place each bun side by side on the paper with a small gap between each one.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and place insert in a warm place for 30mins to rise again to up to double size.
- If you are taking the *option* to add the chocolate crosses on the buns now is the time to do that.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave thenworking fast, pour into a plastic bag or piping bag. If using a plastic bag snip a small hole in one corner and squeeze out to pipe. Pipe a cross on each bun top
- When you have piped your crosses onto your buns, place insert back into slow cooker, turn onto HIGH, cover slow cooker with teatowelunder thelid and cook on high for 1hr.
- Buns are done with skewer comes out clean, bottom is nicely browned and you can see the bun has a lovely soft bread consistency when torn.
- Use the baking paper to lift up your hot cross buns out of your slow cooker and place them on a wire wrack to cool.
- If you are taking the *option* to glaze your buns this is the next step.
- On a stove top combine water and caster sugar.
- Bring to the boil stirring and allow to boil for 5mins stirring continuously.
- Use a pastry brush to brush this glaze onto your cooling hot cross buns for that lovely sticky sweet finish to this Easter treat
- View regular Hot Cross Bun recipe HERE
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!