A roast pork with a difference – so succulent and tender!
Submitted by Paulene Christie
Char Siu Style Roast Pork
A roast pork with a difference - so succulent and tender!
- 1 large piece of pork roast (approx. 1.5kg)
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup low salt soy sauce
- 2T rice wine vinegar
- 2T brown sugar
- 1T minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 1.5 tsp red food colouring
- (NOTE: This recipe includes overnight marinating)
- Leave the fat and skin on the pork but remove any netting. Place pork piece in a large zip bag or oven bag
- Combine all other ingredients and pour over pork in bag
- Twist bag to seal or close bag and marinate pork overnight in fridge (sit bag in a large bowl in case any leaks occur)
- When ready to cook, remove pork from bag and place pork in slow cooker, fat/rind facing up
- Pour over marinade from bag (discard bag) and cook on LOW for 6hrs initially
- Remove fat layer and discard. Turn pork over and cook for another 2hs LOW
- Total cooking time 8hrs low.
- Slice to serve and spoon over a little cooking juices on serving
- Could be served with a traditional side of rice and steamed Asian greens
- Or we served ours with steamed seasonal vegetables and potato and sweet potato mash
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!