1I brown my mince, you don’t have to, it’s personal preference
BROWNING MINCE METHOD
11. Heat oil in pan, add onion, garlic and celery. Stir over heat for 5 minutes or until softened.
22. Add the beef mince, cook for 5 minutes until brown.
33. Add chilli, cayenne and oregano, stir well.
44. Mix in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper and kidney beans.
55. Transfer to Slow Cooker and simmer on Low for at least 2 hours or HIGH for at least one hour or more. Times depend on your Slow Cooker and may vary so keep an eye on it for your fist time and adjust as required.
NON BROWNING MINCE METHOD
11. If you don’t want to brown the meat first, just mix all the ingredients into a bowl or use the slow cooker bowl and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours. Times depend on your Slow Cooker and may vary so keep an eye on it for your fist time and adjust as required. Maybe get a wooden spoon to get the lumps out of the meat and stir every hour, unless you like the lumps then leave as is.
1Serve on Jacket potatoes, with grated cheese and sour cream.
2Or over rice.
3Or on corn chips with grated cheese and sour cream.
4Or layer in slow cooker as a lasagna with sour cream and grated cheese mixed together used as the cheese type sauce and use dry lasagna sheets.
5So many options.
6Mixture can be doubled to make enough for large families or to make a couple of different meals.
Submitted by Melissa McClelland
Please note that all comments are held in moderation and manually approved. It may be several minutes until you see yours. Please Do Not resubmit your comment during this time.