Submitted by Nancy Kleinig
- 2 purchased sheets of read made puff pastry
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split ( I used vanilla essence instead) *note - 2tsp of essence is equivalent to one vanilla bean*
- 3/4 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup custard powder
- 220g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 750ml (3 cups) thickened cream
- 50g unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 210C. Line a 23cm square pan with aluminium foil, so that the foil comes up over the sides (this allows you to lift out the slice).
- Step 2
- Place each pastry sheet on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper, then bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, place 1 pastry sheet, cooked-side up, in bottom of pan. (You may need to trim it slightly to fit.)
- Step 3
- Set slow cooker on high, I used a small one 2.4L
- Put the cornflour, sugar and custard powder in the slow cooker, and put the milk and vanilla mixture in and whisk until smooth,
- Then add cream, mix well.
- Place lid on slow cooker and let it cook for about 1 hour or until it thickens, stirring couple times in between.
- Add butter, stirring well to combine, then remove from heat and whisk in egg yolks, one at a time, until smooth.
- Step 4
- Pour into pastry-lined pan and set aside to cool slightly before placing other piece of pastry, cooked-side up, on top. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from pan, cut into squares and dust with icing sugar.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think