Submitted by Dale Sanders
Stuffed Baby Squid
- 8 Baby squid, cleaned. Keep tentacles if using fresh caught
- 150g Mince, chicken, lamb or beef ok
- 1 Chorizo, not cooked
- 1 Onion
- 3 Tblspn of pitted and sliced black olives
- 1 Clove of garlic
- 1/3 cup parboiled rice (about 4-5 mins in microwave)
- A selection any favourite spices in your pantry or fresh herbs
- 1/3 Cup tomato paste
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Chilli paste to taste
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tspn Fennel seeds
- 1 tspn Coriander seeds
- 1 tspn Cracked black pepper
- Process chorizo in food processor until crumbled, place in a mixing bowl
- Process onion and garlic until finely chopped, add to chorizo
- Add mince, rice, olives and your favourite flavours to the bowl and mix by hand to get a great consistency.
- Stuff the squid with the mince mixture and secure the top with a toothpick. * Do not overfill as the mix will expand a little*
- Put all of the sauce ingredients into your slow cooker, stir to combine and add your squid.
- Add any tentacles that you have and if you have any left over mince mixture make tablespoon size balls and roll in flour and add to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 2.5 hours
- Make sure the squid is just covered by the stock. Do not stir during cooking.
- If your squid are different sizes, put the larger one's in the slow cooker 30 mins before the smaller ones but you can add the tentacles at the beginning.
- You can add or exchange your favourite flavours, instead of onion try fresh fennel.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!