Submitted by Rachelle Roberts
Spinach and Bacon Pie
- 1 2/3 cups (250g) plain flour
- 125g unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, separated (save the white to use in the filling with other eggs)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 full rashers of bacon roughly diced
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups shredded cheese (tasty and Parmesan)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Lightly grease the slow cooker bowl.
- Place the flour and butter in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of chilled water
- Process again until the mixture comes together in a smooth ball.
- Press into the base and sides of the slow cooker bowl until uniform in thickness.
- Turn the slow cooker on high and place a clean tea towel under the lid to prevent condensation.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and bacon and cook
- Stir occasionally until onions are soft.
- Stir in spinach
- Continue cooking until excess moisture has evaporated.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, cheese, salt and pepper
- Add hot spinach mixture and stir to blend.
- After the crust has cooked for 30mins pour in the prepared filling
- Cover again with a tea towel under the lid.
- Cook for a further 1.5-2hrs on high until set.
- To remove pie from the slow cooker carefully upturn it into a tea towel, (I needed 2 people to do this because the pot is still very hot and heavy) place a plate onto the base and flip it over again to be right side up.
- Serve and enjoy.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!