Submitted by Paulene Christie
Slow Cooker Hot Cross Buns
- 10g dried yeast
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 3/4 cup warm milk (185ml)
- 1/2 cup cold milk (125ml)
- 50g melted butter
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 3 and 1/2 cups plain flour (525g)
- 150g sultanas
- 50g dried diced dates
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/3 cup caster sugar (70g)
- 1/2 cup plain flour (75g)
- 2/3 cup water (160ml)
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- Whisk yeast, sugar and warm milk together in a bowl and set aside for 10minutes or until frothy/bubbles form on top.
- While this sits aside,combine flour, dried fruit, sugar, mixed spice and a pinch of salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the cold milk, egg and butter into the yeast mix you set aside earlier.
- Make a well into the dry ingredients and gently pour in the yeast liquid and fold in to combine.
- Work dough together in bowl with hands then turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- Kneed for 10-15 mins then place in a clean, greased bowl and cover with plastic cling wrap.
- Set this aside for 90mins until risen to double the size.
- Uncover and punch down with your fist in the centre then turn out onto a lightly floured surface again.
- Knead for 2 minutes then separate into 12 equal parts (I find it easy to divide into half and half again to get 1/4's. Then I broke each quarter into 3)
- Line slow cooker with non stick baking paper and place each bun side by side on the paper with a small gap between each one.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and place insert in a warm place for 30mins to rise again to up to double size.
- Mix flour and water to paste and pour into a plastic bag or piping bag. If using a plastic bag snip a small hole in one corner and squeeze out to pipe. Pipe cross on each bun top (excuse mine in this pic as my last bag broke so I had to make do)
- When you have piped your crosses onto your buns, place insert back into slow cooker, turn onto HIGH, cover slow cooker with teatowelunder thelid and cook on high for 1hr.
- Buns are done with skewer comes out clean, bottom is nicely browned and you can see the bun has a lovely soft bread consistency when torn.
- Use the baking paper to lift up your hot cross buns out of your slow cooker and place them on a wire wrack to cool.
- On a stovetop combine water and caster sugar.
- Bring to the boil stirring and allow to boil for 5mins stirring continuously.
- Use a pastry brush to brush this glaze onto your cooling hot cross buns for that lovely sticky sweet finish to this Easter treat 🙂
- *note* Next time I cook these I will pop the finished buns in a hot oven or under grill for a few minutesto brown off the top. And I promise to do a much better job of the crosses next time 😉 Will change picture next batch!
- View Chocolate Choc-Chips Hot Cross Buns HERE
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!