Submitted by Simon Christie
Slow Cooker Chewy Peanut Brittle
- 3 cups of white sugar
- 1 cup of organic rice bran syrup (or corn syrup - see *note below)
- 4 tblsp butter
- 2 tblsp vanilla essence
- 4 cups cooked unsalted peanuts
- 2 tsp baking soda
- *Note: I purchased the rice bran syrup at a health food store. They advised against using the traditional corn syrup for health reasons and explained that the rice bran syrup was a healthier alternative.
- Line two shallow oven cookie trays with non stick baking paper and set aside.
- Place sugar, syrup, butter and vanilla into slow cooker.
- Turn onto HIGH and stir until well combined
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1hr.
- After the hour stir again, then gradually add baking soda in small portions, stirring well each time to combine, until all baking soda has been added. Stir to combine well.
- Cover and cook still on HIGH for another 30mins.
- Add in nuts and stir to combine, then cover and cook a further 20mins on HIGH or until a rich toffee colour is achieved.
- Carefully pour half the mixture into each lined tray (use oven mitts to hold it as the cooker insert will be hot)
- Even the mixture out with a spatula and let cool on bench for 1hr.
- For ease of shattering, place the trays into the freezer for 10mins after the 1hr cooling period and prior to breaking.
- Then cover the tray with a clean teatowel and break apart using a kitchen hammer or a heavy can etc.
- Break into rough chunks as large as you like 🙂
- Store in sealed container - in hot climate store this container in fridge (surface may go tacky to the touch in fridge)
- Option: Alternatively can be poured into little patty cake cases as per photo if you rather individual toffee's 🙂
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!