Crispy skin pork belly what more can I say … apart from YUM!
Submitted by Jarrah King
Slow cooked pork belly
Crispy skin pork belly what more can I say ... apart from YUM!
- 1x pork belly
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1tbs oil
- Leave your pork belly in the fridge uncovered for at least an hour. (This helps to get the skin nice and crispy)
- Rub the skin with oil and a generous amount of salt.
- Pour the stock into the slow cooker and then carefully sit the pork belly on top.
- Close the lid and slow cook for 4 hours on low.
- At the 3 1/2 hour mark turn your oven on to Maximum heat (approx 240 fan forced)
- When your pork has been cooking for the full 4 hours take it out of the slow cooker and transfer it onto an oven tray rub a little more oil into the skin and more salt then place into your oven and cook until it's nice and crispy this took 25 mins for mine.
- Please read my notes on how to use the lovely stock left in your slow cooker for apple sauce and pork gravy.
- With the stock that's in your slow cooker reserve about 6 tablespoons for your Apple sauce (if your making it) it helps take out some of the sweetness. I used a jar of apple sauce poured it into a saucepan and added 1tsp butter, salt, pepper, stock and a pinch of thyme and it was perfect.
- With the remainder of the stock leave it in your slow cooker but turn your slow cooker onto high.
- In a cup put two tablespoons of your favourite gravy powder (I used roast meat flavoured gravox powder) then add 1 cup of boiling water. Mix well then pour it into your slow cooker. Add one more tablespoon of powder directly to the slow cooker and give it another good mix.
- Pop the lid on and leave for at least 10-15 minutes. I got the gravy ready before I put my pork into the oven and it was perfect by the time my pork was ready to come out.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!