Submitted by Roslyn Potter
- One 340g vanilla cake mix (I used homebrand)
- 250 ml of soft drink
- Red & Yellow Food Colouring
- 4 pieces of licorice (depending on your decorating, you may require more)
- Line a cake tin (that fits inside your slow cooker) with baking paper on the bottom.
- Mix about 1/4 teaspoon of Red Food colouring & 1/4 teaspoon of Yellow Food colouring together into a small container. Add more of either colour if required until you get the colour you desire. I was hoping for orange
- Cut the licorice into small pieces and make a 'face' on the bottom of the cake tin by using the licorice.
- Pour 250ml of freshly opened Soft Drink into a bowl with the vanilla cake mix.
- Pour in the Food Colouring
- Stir until just combined. Do not over mix. The bubbles help the cake rise.
- Pour the batter VERY CAREFULLY into a cake tin being mindful not to 'move' the licorice pieces.
- Then place the cake tin into your slow cooker. I elevated mine by sitting it on egg rings, with about an inch of water in the bottom.
- Put a tea towel under the lid to collect condensation.
- Cook on high for 1hr 40 minutes.
- * I Used a Big W 5.5 litre slow cooker, times will vary depending on your slow cooker
- Inspired by Melodie Tapp's Soda Cake recipe
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think