Submitted by Hine Marsh
Roast Pumpkin Soup with Ham Hock
- 1x whole kent pumpkin
- 2x ham hock
- 1x large brown onion
- 1x garlic bulb
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 2x tsp curry powder
- Splash of cream (to your taste)
- Salt pepper to season
- Sprinkle of chilli flakes (if desired)
- Place ham hocks in slow cooker add chicken stock, chop and add onion and the curry powder.
- Cut pumpkin in half, remove seed and skin. Cut in smallish chunks and add to SC then cook on high 3hrs.
- Now to prepare the other half of the pumpkin. Deseed, skin and cut it all up. Put on baking tray oil/salt/pepper/chilli flake them and add the whole garlic bulb to the tray. Cook until nicely roasted. Once cooked put them on a plate and put to the side until the end. (It doesn't matter if they get cold) I also squeeze the roast garlic out at this stage. i just put it on top of the pumpkin.)
- Once the slow cooker time is finished I take out the pumpkin (put in a bowl) then I take the hocks out and skin and debone them (put meat in a separate bowl and shred it with 2 forks)
- Now pour the liquid from the SC into large measuring jug and set to the side.
- Put all the pumpkin back into the SC and add some of the reserved liquid back in. Blend with a stick mixer and keep adding the liquid in until u get your desired thickness. Once you're there add some cream if u like a creamy soup. Now add back in the shredded up meat and stir it through. ?
- Its very delicious and u can taste the roast flavours along side the smokey ham bits ?? YUM!!
- Serve with a crusty bread to dip.
- You can also freeze the leftovers for a rainy day.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think