Submitted by Geoff A Williams
Rich Gravy Lamb Shanks
Lamb Shanks in Rich Gravy Sauce
- 2 lamb shanks
- I carrot diced
- 2 onions chopped
- 4 cloves chopped garlic(or to your taste)
- 1 Can diced tomatoes
- 1Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1Tbs Soy Sauce
- 1Tbs Oyster sauce
- 1cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2Tbs gravy powder mixed in 1 cup water
- 2 sprigs fresh Rosemary torn off stem
- Small amount fresh thyme
- Brown shanks in oil in pan, remove and place in slow cooker.
- Cook onion, carrot and garlic in meat juices in pan until onion translucent. Place on top of shanks in slow cooker.
- Pour wine into pan and heat to loosen leftovers from meat and onion etc, and pour over top of shanks.
- Add can of tomatoes and stock to slow cooker.
- Mix gravy powder with water, add Soy, Worcestershire and Oyster sauces. Pour over shanks.
- Add rosemary and thyme and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender.
- I removed the shanks after 8 hours and put them in the oven to keep warm while I thickened the gravy with a bit of corn flour mixed in water.
- Obviously this has to be served with mashed potato!!
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think
3 thoughts on “Rich Gravy Lamb Shanks”
Cooked this with 5 lamb shanks and there was more than enough gravy for them. Nice flavour. But took quite a bit to thicken. Could have been due to having cooking more shanks. Elderly neighbour loved it. Would make this again for sure.
Really lovely. Changed some of the measurements as I had 4 lamb shanks and needed less liquid so I didn’t overflow my cooker. We also used a redwine sauce mix (masterfoods).
The meat fell right off the bone and it was delightful to eat. Served with mash potato aswell.
Didn’t realise I needed to prepare things on a fry pan prior to slow cooking, but that’s ok!
I was a bit worried it was going to be over powered by the tomato, but it was a nice balance and suited hubby and I and our preferences 🙂 will make it again!