Submitted by Wayne gatt
Red velvet, broken glass cake
- Red velvet cake. 180g butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (315g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups (375g) self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon red liquid food coloring
- I pkt royal icing
- Sugar Glass:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup glucose syrup
- 3 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. Grease a square or rectangle silicon cake pan
- 2. Use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour, cocoa powder and buttermilk, in batches, until well combined. Add the vinegar, bicarbonate of soda and food colouring and stir to combine.
- 3. Spoon mixture into the prepared pan. Use the back of a spoon to smooth the surface. Cook in the slow cooker with a tea towel under the lid ,for 21/2 to 3hrs on high ,keep testing with a skewer until done. Ice when fully cooled.
- 4. Make the sugar glass. Mix 2 cups water, 1 cup glucose syrup ,white sugar, and cream of tartar in a large saucepan; bring to boil stirring constantly put the heat down to medium.and cook for about an hour ,stirring, The mixture will thicken as water evaporates. , quickly pour onto a metal baking pan. Cool until completely hardened. Break into "shards" using a meat mallet.
- 5. Make the edible blood. Mix together 1/2 cup corn syrup and cornstarch in a large bowl. Slowly stir in the 1/4 cup of water, adding more if necessary, until the corn syrup mixture has thickened to the consistency of blood. Stir in the red and blue food coloring.
- 6. Stab the icedcake with a few shards of broken sugar glass. Drizzle on drops of "blood" to complete the effect.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!