Everyone loves a slow cooked potato bake but some days you just don’t have the time to prepare with regular potatoes. This was created as a FAST, super easy alternative that takes no time at all! This one is a big hit with the little people in our home 😊
Submitted by Paulene Christie
Potato Gem Potato Bake
- 1kg bag of frozen potato gems
- 300ml cooking cream
- 1 x 40g sachet dry French onion soup mix
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- 1-2tsp of minced garlic
- 100g diced bacon
- 1-2 cup grated tasty cheese (depending on how cheesy you like yours)
- Add frozen gems to your slow cooker and top with the diced bacon (raw if fine)
- Combine cream, soup mix, pepper, and garlic and pour over
- Cook on HIGH for 2.5hrs, adding grated cheese on top in final 20mins.
- We use what’s called potato gems from the supermarket freezer section in Australia which are small little hash brown like pieces, also called Tater Tots in US.
- Just check towards the end that there is not burning around edges but that gems are still all nice and hot, if your cooker cooks hotter than some they may be ready 15mins early.
- I used a round 5L slow cooker which made a deeper bake. If you use a larger one that allows the bake to be a thinner total height this may also speed up your cooking times also.