This potato bake is very creamy – not quite a low fat option. It tastes amazing and could be used to feed a large tribe. A winner in our house.
Submitted by Leigh Baker
Perfect Potato Bake
This potato bake is very creamy - not quite a low fat option. It tastes amazing and could be used to feed a large tribe. A winner in our house.
- 1.2kg peeled and finely sliced potatoes
- 5 rashers of bacon - diced
- 1 large onion sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon mixed herbs (optional)
- 600-900mL of cooking cream 1.5 cups of grated 'pizza' or 'baking' grated cheese
- ground black pepper as desired
- 1 tablespoon of butter or olive oil
- 1. Cook bacon and onion on the saute feature of slow cooker (otherwise in a frypan) until moderately cooked.
- 2. Turn slow cooker off.
- 3. Remove bacon and onion and place in a bowl to the side.
- 4. Grease inside of slow cooker bowl
- 5. layer potatoes to make a 1 - 1 1/2 slice thick layer on base of bowl.
- 6. Sprinkle some bacon and onion over the potatoes.
- 7. repeat this step until all potatoes and bacon/onion mix are used.
- 8. Pour cream over the top of the potatoes. (Containers are 300mL each so use between 2 and 3 depending on the desired 'creaminess')
- 9. Sprinkle some chives and herbs and pepper on top of the cream and potatoes.
- 10. Set slow cooker to HIGH, add a tea towel under the lid and cook for 2 hours. Reduce to LOW and cook for a further 2-2.5 hours.
- 11. NOTE: 30 minutes before serving add cheese over the top of potatoes and remaining herbs, chives and pepper. Replace lid and tea towel and continue cooking.
- 12. Potato Bake can be kept on WARM once cooked for up to an hour.
- 13. A Breville 6.5L Searing Slow Cooker was used for this recipe.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!