Submitted by Nathalie Madden
Pea & Ham Soup
- 1 x tablespoon olive oil
- 1 x finely chopped small brown onion
- 2 x garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x leek, sliced (white part)
- 2 x sticks celery, diced
- 3 – 4 medium sized potatoes, peeled, diced
- 650g ham hock
- 1 1/2 cup green split peas, washed, rinsed (rinse until the water is clear)
- 3 - 4 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- ½ litre of cold water (depends on how thick you want the soup to be)
- 1 x dried bay leaf
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, cracked pepper and crusty bread, to serve
- 1. Add olive oil, onion, garlic, celery, leek, potatoes, ham hock, peas, stock, bay leaf and 1 liter cold water. Cover with lid.
- 2. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- 3. Remove hock from soup. Discard the bone.
- 4. Shred ham. Return ham & rind (I think that this adds extra flavour) to soup. Cook on low for 1 hour or until ham and peas are tender.
- 5. Remove and discard of rind.
- 6. Use a stick blender to blend together, but try and leave some chunky bits of potato and ham
- 7. Serve with parsley, cracked pepper and crusty bread.
- 8. ENJOY!!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!