Submitted by Maria bateson
- 1 thinly sliced potato (optional)
- 1 thinly sliced and fried aubergine/eggplant
- 1 diced onion
- 2 minced garlic gloves
- 500g lamb mince
- 1 tbsp flour
- Tin chopped tomatoes
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- Salt and pepper
For the topping
- 3 eggs
- 250g natural yoghurt
- 100g feta
- Nutmeg to grate on top (optional)
- Brown mince and onions in a pan, then add tomatoes, garlic, flour, stock, cinnamon, tomato pure and seasoning. Transfer to slow cooker. Lay the aubergine and potato on top to cover the sauce.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- For the topping, mix the ingredients together in a bowl and then pour over the top of the aubergines, use a spatula to ensure total coverage, grate nutmeg on top if desired.
- Cook on low for 1 hour.
- Brown under a grill for 20 mins.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think
5 thoughts on “Moussaka”
Was really nice however next time would use double the purée and some basil for extra flavour. I put tasty cheese on top before grilling!
Absolutely delicious and LOVE this recipe!
I’ve made this without browning in a pan first and it turns out fantastically.
The topping really adds an interesting and extra delicious element even if you don’t brown under a grill.
Good. Easy and tasted nice with a good texture. The only thing I found was the potato wasn’t cooked enough. But would do again.
Slicing thinner next time would help with that too Katy 🙂
Doubled up on the puree as suggested, added Worcestershire sauce and used lamb stock. Didn’t use the potatoes and layered the aubergine came out pretty well although I’d use less ground cinnamon next time. Had it on 2 days and thought it tasted better 2nd day. Will have another another time.