A classic dish – perfect for your slow cooker!
Submitted by Paulene Christie
Mississippi Pot Roast
A classic dish - perfect for your slow cooker!
- 1.5-2kg roast beef
- 1 x 30g sachet of traditional instant gravy mix
- 1 x 28g sachet of dry ranch mix (or 30g of your own home made ranch mix blend - see notes)
- 100g butter, cubed
- 3 pickled chillies (see notes)
- Place roast beef in 5L slow cooker
- Sprinkle over dry gravy powder and dry ranch mix.
- Top with butter squares and pickled chillies
- Cook on low for 8hrs
- Slice the roast then return to the gravy to coat
- Serve with or without the chillies depending on your preference
- This recipe is featured in our FAMILY FAVOURITES BOOK (book 6 in our series of 7) - available from the shop tab of this website
- After years of seeing our American members talk about this recipe, I knew I had to try this for myself – and boy it did not disappoint! 😊
- The Hidden Valley dry ranch mix isn’t something Australian supermarkets sell but, like me, you can easily order it online to make this dish the way it’s intended. I purchased mine from HERE. Alternatively, you can make your own easy blend yourself (instructions below)
- While the traditional recipe uses pepperoncino pickled peppers, which I also couldn’t get in Australia, I substituted with a mild pickled chili that was available in our mainstream supermarkets. While I did cook the recipe with the chillies, I discarded the actual chillies prior to serving to keep the spice level suitable for our little ones, but by all means leave them on your plate if you love chillies 😊
MAKE YOUR OWN RANCH DRY DRESSING MIX
- ½ cup powdered milk powder
- 2T dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Combine all and store in airtight container for up to 6months
- 30g is equal to one purchased packet of ranch mix
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!