A spicey rice dish which can be eaten on it’s own or as a compliment with other dishes, poultry & fish.
Submitted by Ramseystreats
A spicey rice dish which can be eaten on it's own or as a compliment with other dishes, poultry & fish.
- 3 cups of uncooked basmati rice
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 litre of boiled water
- 5 tomatoes
- 5 cloves of garlic sliced
- 1/3rd cup vegetable oil
- 1tsp of ground corriander
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of dried corriander (cilantro)
- 1 tbsp of tomato puree
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 can of refried beans
- 1/4 cup of lime juice
- Saute the rice in a pan with the vegetable oil and the sliced garlic.
- In a food processor put the onion and tomatoes into a pulp.
- Pour the tomato onion mixture into the pan of rice and add the vegetable stock and litre of boiled water.
- Let it bubble away for 5 minutes then pour into slow cooker.
- Add the tomato puree, salt, pepper,and other ingredients except the lime juice.
- Set on high for 3 & 1/2 hrs or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Finally stir in the lime juice.
- I served mine with a jar of shop bought tikka cooking sauce in a jar slow cooked with chicken for 3 hrs. But the rice can be put in tacos or wraps, burritos, salads, chilli con carne and jacket potato's. Would go lovely with a drizzle of sour cream on top and some salsa too with a plate of tortillas.
- This is my spin on a Mexican rice dish. which i adapted for a slow cooker, hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.
- If you have small children i would leave out the chilli flakes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!