Submitted by Lisa O’Brien
Mexican Meatball Enchilada Casserole
- For meatballs
- 1kg mince (2 lbs ground meat for Northern Hemisphere)
- 1 packet of taco seasoning (Old El Paso.. but if not familiar with it.. 3 tsps ground cumin, 2 tsps of paprika, 1 tsp of chili powder, or to taste 2 tsps of salt.)
- 1-2 chopped green chiles
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of bread crumbs.. mix altogether.. use extra bread crumbs if needed to make it stick together.
- Form small meatballs, about the size of a quarter. I oven bake them before hand for about 15 minutes because I like the brown crispy bits.. but you can make cook them raw in slow cooker within the layers.
- Putting it together:
- 2 jars of enchilada sauce ( I use Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce) sorry I don't know of substitutes or how to make from scratch)
- 3-4 cups of tasty cheese ( cheddar for Northern Hemisphere)
- 1 bunch of spring onions chopped (green onions)
- 2 pckts of corn tortillas
- Put a layer of corn tortillas down on base of slow cooker.. usually about 3-4 each layer
- Use about 3 tbls of enchilada sauce on the top of them
- Layer of meatballs
- Sprinkle cheese over meatballs
- Sprinkle Spring Onions over meatballs and onions and repeat until all ingridients are used or until desired layers are reached. Slow cook on high for 2-3 hours serve with selected sides.
- I served mine with some sour cream and salsa.
- I put a tea towel between my slow cooker lid and the pot itself, because I think it helps absorbs the moisture and the cheese comes out gold and bubbly , but it is your choice.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think