Submitted by Lisa Soligo
Massaman Beef Curry
This can all be thrown in together but I find if turns out AMAZING if the beef is browned and then the curry paste and coconut milk is cooked before everything is chucked in together.
- 1 Tblspn oil
- 1kg beef chuck steak, cubed into 3cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cans Maesri Masaman Curry Paste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6-8 cardamon pods, bruised
- 1 large or 2 small cinnamon sticks
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, vein removed and chopped
- 1 x 400 ml + 1 x 270ml coconut milk
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 1/8 cup fish sauce
- 1 Tblspn tamarind paste
- 1 1/2 Tblspn lime juice + rind
- Steamed rice
- Chopped peanuts and coriander leaves. to serve
- Heat half the oil in the slow cooking (if you have a searing slow cooker, or use a frypan) over medium-high heat and cook beef, in batches until browned.
- Heat remaining oil and cook onion until almost softened, add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add to beef.
- Reduce heat, add both cans of paste and 400 ml can of coconut milk to slow cooker mix together and cook 5 minutes.
- Return beef and onion/garlic mix to the slow cooker and add cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, lime leaves, fish sauce, tamarind paste, 270 ml coconut milk and potatoes.
- Cook on low 8 hours.
- Discard cardamom pods and cinnamon. Stir through lime juice and serve on steamed rice topped with chopped peanuts and coriander.
- This can all be thrown in together but I find if turns out AMAZING if the beef is browned and then the curry paste and coconut milk is cooked before everything is chucked in together.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think