We call this Special Soup, because my friend’s mum used to make it for her. I’ve adapted it for the slow cooker and it’s just as good! Excellent with toast, freezes well and is like a cuddle from the slow cooker.
Submitted by Kel
Lamb and Barley Soup
We call this Special Soup, because my friend's mum used to make it for her. I've adapted it for the slow cooker and it's just as good! Excellent with toast, freezes well and is like a cuddle from the slow cooker.
- 2 potatoes
- 1 swede
- 1 parsnip
- 2 carrots
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 1 onion
- Clove of garlic
- 2 lamb shanks
- 1 cup pearl barley (dried)
- 2 x beef stock cubes
- water to cover
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dice all the vegetables to around 1cm cube, give or take. Put into slow cooker.
- Put shanks into slow cooker, I find slicing across them assists in the shredding.
- Add the beef stock cubes and cover with water.
- Cook for 4 hours on high.
- Remove shanks and shred the meat from the shanks. Cut up the meat as necessary. Return to the slow cooker and add the barley. Stir well.
- Put slow cooker onto Low for one hour, or until the barley is softened.
- Season to taste. Add or remove water until desired thickness is achieved.
- While the cutting up of all the veges takes time, it's worth it. A pre-packed 'soup mix' from the fruit and vege section of most supermarkets works just fine, however if you want to add more or less or different vegetables, the recipe still works well. I don't tend to peel the potatoes or carrots. Could also be done for 9 hours on low, with the shake meat being shredded at the 8 hour point.
Tried this recipe?Scroll Down To Share What You Think